To aid visual and practical learning; Valencia College possess a number of science and learning laboratories where students acquire practical learning.
Science laboratories include that of Agricultural Science, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Other laboratories include:
- Home Economics/Food and Nutrition laboratory,
- Typing pool; where students acquire typing skills,
- Technical Drawing laboratories,
- Music laboratory; where students learn how to explore their musical talents
- and a school farm where students acquire farming field experience.
Information Technology is further consolidated through the use of latest state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment. Our integrated Sciences laboratory is well laid out and equipped for the junior classes, while the senior classes have complete Electronics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology laboratories.
Valencia College Physics lab houses modern audio-visual equipment along with the laboratory materials to carry out experiments and investigations aimed at encouraging the students to develop some of the skills and abilities that scientists use to solve real life problems.
Valencia College Chemistry laboratory is a well equipped one, with equipment that enhances the teaching and learning of Chemistry. The laboratory will enhance qualitative and quantitative practical analysis, detection of gases and ions, separation techniques, usage of laboratory apparatus and handling of reagents. It is a conducive environment for the teaching and learning of practical Chemistry.
This laboratory is well furnished and equipped to demonstrate biological illustrations with experimental set-ups, using modern and state-of-the-art equipment. Some of the unique materials in the laboratory are:
- Real life specimens for illustration in teaching classification of organisms
- Skeleton models of various kinds, including complete human skeleton, skeleton of dog and all parts of the vertebral column (backbone) in pieces
- Models showing different internal organs of mammals like the Kidney, Liver, Heart, Reproductive organs among others
- Chemical reagents for bio-chemical analysis like Enzyme reactions, Food tests, etc.
- Varieties of Biology charts showing Amphibians, Reptiles, etc. and life cycles of some Insects
- CD/DVD ROMs for showing illustrations and animations of various biological concepts and principles
- An overhead projector for viewing software programmes in Biology like GSCE Biology and IGCSE Biology
Students will be introduced to the use of computers when they enter the college. Computers will be used in the teaching of all subjects. Our students have access to computers anytime they need to use them. Electronics and C.D.T. are pursued in specially equipped workshops.
HOME ECONOMICS LABORATORY
A well-equipped Home Economics centre facilitates the teaching and learning of Food and Textile Technology, Home and Family living at Valencia College. Our students will have the advantage of one-on-one supervision by qualified teachers.
TECHNICAL DRAWING ROOM
Technical drawing is the general language of engineers. In our technical drawing room students will be taught how to communicate through the use of drawing skills and to be able to compete with their counterparts all over the world. They will be exposed to Geometrical, Mechanical and Building drawing. At Valencia College, future Architects, Builders, and other engineers are prepared for a professional world.
INTRODUCTORY TECHNOLOGY WORKSHOP
In this workshop our students will be exposed to different fields of engineering – electrical, electronics, woodwork, mechanical, building, etc. The students will work under the guidance of highly qualified teachers in a well equipped and modern introductory technology workshop.
JUNIOR SCIENCE LABORATORY
The Junior Secondary School laboratory is well equipped with simple scientific materials that make the learning of science more interesting to the junior students.
This laboratory is a fully air-conditioned one, well decorated with educative scientific charts that capture the pupil’s minds and attention. Charts and models are also available for different topics to facilitate the learning process. Simple reagents are made to carry out simple experiments aside from other more sophisticated experiments that are performed.
ll these facilities are put in place to ensure maximum knowledge acquisition in any area of student’s interest and prepare a sound foundation for future growth.